American male genital cutting and African female genital cutting have similarities
- Over 100 million procedures have been performed on current populations.
- They are unnecessary, extremely painful, and traumatic.
- They can have adverse sexual and psychological effects.
- They are generally done by force on children.
- They are generally supported by local medical doctors.
- Pertinent biological facts are not generally known where procedures are practiced.*
- They are defended with reasons such as tradition, religion, aesthetics, cleanliness, and health.
- The rationale has currently or historically been connected to controlling sexual pleasure.
- They are often believed to have no effect on normal sexual functioning.
- They are generally accepted and supported by those who have been subjected to them.
- The decision is generally controlled by men though women may be supportive.
- Those who are cut have a compulsion to repeat their trauma on their children.
- The choice may be motivated by underlying psychosexual reasons.
- Critical public discussion is generally taboo where they are practiced.
- They can result in serious complications that can lead to death.
- The adverse effects are hidden by repression and denial.
- Dozens of potentially harmful physiological, emotional, behavioral, sexual, and social effects on individuals and societies have never been studied.
- On a qualitative level, cutting the genitals of male and female children are the same. The harm starts with the first cut, any cut.
- They violate the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.
- Where female genital cutting is present, male genital cutting is also present, but not the other way around. This suggests that female genital cutting results from male genital cutting.**
- If we stop both, we may better develop toward our individual and social potential.
* For example, most American medical doctors do not know the Functions of the Foreskin.
** A form of American female genital cutting is episiotomy, an obstetrical ritual that may precede hospital childbirth.
It is unnecessary like other unnecessary surgeries on women.